Teeth are found inside the mouths of many animals.
Types of teeth Edit
- Incisors - these are found near the front of the mouth, and are used to break off pieces of food inside the mouth.
- Canines - these are pointier than the incisors. In humans, they are used in a very similar way to the incisors, but in some animals, they can be used for killing prey.
- Premolars - these are used for chewing food and breaking it up into smaller pieces.
- Molars - these are similar to the premolars, but have a bigger surface area.
Tooth decay Edit
Tooth decay occurs when acids dissolve the enamel on our teeth.
Reducing the chance of tooth decay Edit
There are several things that you can do to reduce the risk of tooth decay. Some of these are as follows:
- Reduce the amount of sugary foods in your diet.
- Clean your teeth regularly. This helps to remove plaque from them.
- Use toothpaste containing fluoride.
- Visit the dentist regularly.